in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

ARC Review: Groupie by Susan Daugherty


This is part 1 of a two part series. The book is a solid ok but I can't say that I'm dying to go grab part 2. In fact, I can't really see myself reading part 2 based on some of the things you will find in this review.

The first thing that jumps out at me about this book is that the name is completely misleading. I from time to time enjoy "bad girl" books. I like to read the stories of the slutty girl who pulled herself together and became a one man woman. I thought that this book was going to be one of those because hell-oh, the title. But no. This book was the opposite of that. Not only is Lexi not a groupie but she is...disgusted, mocking and self superior to anything even resembling a groupie.

Ok, rewind. Lexi is a doctor who finds herself at a country music concert. During the concert, country music superstar Jack is injured. As it turns out, Jack winds up being Lexi's patient and she is charged with his rehab. When Jack goes on the road, Lexi goes with him. From like the very first page of this book Lexi comes across as self important and pretty judgmental. In some of her early interactions with Jack, Lexi is kind enough to tell him that his music sucks (mostly). Nevermind that Jack is wildly successful with lots of fans and Lexi is supposed to be healing his body, she just tramples right over his ego. It was not a good way for me to start off with Lexi. I just didn't like her and that feeling did not go away during the book. In fact, Lexi gets way worse. She starts off just sneering and mocking Jack about his music but keep reading. She'll eventually criticize Jack's clothes, his relationships, his ENTIRE LIFE and it's really ridiculous. Lexi wound up being one of the most undesirable female characters I've ever read about.

So you might be asking 'well, what about Jack?' Jack is a nice guy and an ok character. He wasn't exactly my type of bossy alpha male but he was generally ok with me. The thing that made it hard for me to like Jack more than Lexi was that he didn't bother to stand up and tell Lexi that she was being a judgmental witch who needed to see one of her colleagues about having the stick surgically removed from her...well, you know. I just couldn't respect Jack when he let Lexi run everything about him in the ground without so much as even a hint of disagreement. I kind of felt like neither Jack nor Lexi liked Jack and that was unfortunate.

I felt like this could have been a good book but I needed Jack and Lexi to be much different. I don't know if that makes sense but that's how I felt when this book was over. Like, ok, that wasn't awful but man those characters sucked.

**ARC provided by InkSlinger PR**

Purchase: | Amazon |


0 comments :

Post a Comment